L'église Saint-Denys

eglise-arrondi

THE CHURCH OF SAINT-DENYS

Located on the road to Saint-Jacques de Compostelle, the Via Turonensis (Chemin de Tours), the church Saint-Denys de Montmoreau was built in the 12th century. Its original appearance has been preserved, except for the Romanesque belfry which was modified during the 19th century by Paul Abadie.

The cheviot is decorated with sculptures of human and animal faces. The magnificent frontispiece shows an arched gate supported by small columns with sculpted capitals. The inside arc is ornamented with six lobes, each of which features the head of an animal. There is an obvious eastern influence in this type of south-west Romanesque architecture, which also demonstrates the virtuosity of the sculptors of that era.

The gate opens on an elevated narthex that leads to one of the biggest naves in the region. A beautiful dome surmounts the transept.

The south apse has an arched door which doesn’t appear to be from the 12th century. The north apse is gothic and seems to have been modified in the 15th century.

Many of the sculpted capitals on the columns are decorated with patterns of acanthus leaves, which was a very common pattern in the year 1175. Some patterns represent allegorical scenes.

DSC_0273

Photo-montmoreau-006